THFW Geriatric Grand Rounds - The Older Adult Driver
This online interprofessional enduring material is designed for internal medicine physicians, hospitalists, nurses, pharmacists, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nutrition, pastoral care, senior clinic clinical staff, hospital administration, and community partner physicians and health care providers. Its purpose is to address the need for education regarding geriatric population’s response to surgery, medications, and care that require special attention from physicians and clinical staff. Needs exist to address strategies in improving care techniques and performance that will better reflect standards of care for these patients.
At the end of this online enduring material, participants should be able to:
- Discuss current demographics and statistics regarding older drivers in the U.S.
- Review potentially driver-impairing changes that occur with aging and risk factors for unsafe driving
- Assess older patients for safe driving and when to retire from driving
- Review the law pertaining to elderly drivers
- Discuss the role of interprofessional team members when reviewing the Occupational Therapy driving assessment
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
In support of improving patient care, Texas Health Resources is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.The Texas Health Resources designates this live activity for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 0.75 Attendance